The story of Seonyudo Park is fairly well-known. What formerly was a water purification plant was converted in April of 2002 into a beautiful park. Seriously!
Seoul seems to like turning sewers into parks. See West Seoul Lake Park.
Since being converted into a park, it has become quite a spot. The park is actually an island in the middle of the Han River. Being so, Seonyudo Park is truly an area of Zen amidst the chaos of Seoul.
The Scouting Report
- For The Kids
- Picnics And Greenery
- Special Events
- Elsewhere On The Web
- How To Get There
Seonyudo Park occupies an island of the same name in the middle of the Han River. As such, access is limited. The more picturesque entry is the footbridge from Yanghwa Hangang Park. Perhaps more practical for most people is the main gate near the automobile bridge. There are a few buses that let off directly in front of the park's entrance.
The park has plenty to offer everyone. It has a decent playground for kids, amphitheater, herb garden, greenhouse, scenic pathways, beautiful gardens, and fountains among many other things. You could easily spend an afternoon or even an evening here. Want to spend a morning here? Well, that is up to you.
For The Kids
This is the perfect chance to let your kids play in a sewer. Not an active sewer, of course...a former sewer that has been converted into a park. Several of the play areas retain elements of the island's old purpose. It is a great experience for the kids.
Picnics And Greenery
Have a picnic. Either bring a packed lunch or buy some food and drinks at the small cafe in the park. There are plenty of cozy spots in which to spread a blanket and enjoy your food.
The park's ambiance provides a great escape from the city. This is because of the park's location--on an island.
There is no subway station on the island and practically no parking. Therefore, Seonyudo Park rarely sees large crowds. This is one of the few places in Seoul where overcrowding is not a typical problem. It is a peaceful and tranquil paradise in the middle of one of the largest cities in the world.
There is a small amphitheater in the park that hosts various musical acts throughout the year. The acts range from being good to being bad.
Fortunately, even though it is an outdoor stage, the sound is contained in such a way as to not disturb the peacefulness of the rest of the park.
Elsewhere On The Web
- Exploring Korea - Hangang Seonyudo Park
- Visit Seoul - Seonyudo Park
- Life in Korea - Seonyudo Park
- The Seoul Guide - Seonyudo Park
- Seoulful Life - Seonyudo Park - bits of nature with lots of flowers
- Kimchee Guesthouse - A Quiet Escape to Seonyudo Island
To see more photos of Seonyudo Park, check out the Seonyudo Park photo album.
How To Get There
Where: Seoul-si, Yeongdeungpo-gu, Yangpyeong-2-dong
From Line 2 - Hongdae Station (홍대역):
- Walk out of exit 2. Proceed to the nearby bus station. (Bus Stop ID 14-016). The bus stop is close to the Samsung Store.
- Take bus 603, 760, 5714, or 7612. It doesn't matter which one; just be sure to say hi to the driver.
- Get off a Seonyudo Park (Bus Stop ID 19-277). Enjoy the park.
Enter via the pedestrian bridge
- Take bus 602 or 604 to Seonyudo Park Entrance 2 (Bus Stop ID 19-216). If you are riding the bus from Hongdae Station, this stop is 4 stops after the stop for Seonyudo Park's main entrance.
- You know what to do from here. Or do you?